Since I've only ever had a vague interest in court life but am at least well-read enough to know what is meant by "court life", I didn't leap to watching The Crown on Netflix until a recent snow break. But I was wrong to wait. It is an excellent show full of romance, political intrigue, and history.
I really like the upstairs/downstairs gossipy part of the show though, I must admit. I like learning about the personal characteristics of the historical figures like Princess Margaret and Winston Churchill and of course I love the fashions and home décor of the period. I like seeing the young Queen both learning to be a Queen and to be a wife and mother. It's very real and very relatable....even to us commoners!
But the thing I love most is the empowerment. As a woman working in a male-dominated profession, I like seeing the role model of Queen Elizabeth among her male subjects. Her demeanor, while demure, reminds me of the role in which Dame Judi Dench (also playing the earlier Queen Elizabeth) in Shakespeare in Love speaks of what she knows about being a woman in a man's world. "Yes, by God, I do know something about that." These historical figures along with the hardworking women of our present time sometimes give me that little bit of "you can do it" power that I need!
I really like the upstairs/downstairs gossipy part of the show though, I must admit. I like learning about the personal characteristics of the historical figures like Princess Margaret and Winston Churchill and of course I love the fashions and home décor of the period. I like seeing the young Queen both learning to be a Queen and to be a wife and mother. It's very real and very relatable....even to us commoners!
But the thing I love most is the empowerment. As a woman working in a male-dominated profession, I like seeing the role model of Queen Elizabeth among her male subjects. Her demeanor, while demure, reminds me of the role in which Dame Judi Dench (also playing the earlier Queen Elizabeth) in Shakespeare in Love speaks of what she knows about being a woman in a man's world. "Yes, by God, I do know something about that." These historical figures along with the hardworking women of our present time sometimes give me that little bit of "you can do it" power that I need!

